This Vietnamese broth brimming with vegetables and herbs is popular around the world. Create your own signature version.
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 12 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 3 large mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cups bite-sized green vegetables (snow peas, broccoli, bok choy)
- 6 oz thin rice noodles
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp red chili flakes or chili paste to taste
- 4 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Lime wedges
1. In saucepan, bring chicken broth, water and soy sauce to a boil.
2. Add chicken, ginger, and mushrooms. Simmer 3-5 minutes. Add green vegetables and simmer 1 minute more.
3. In separate pot, bring 6 cups of water to boil for rice noodles.
4. Break and stir in noodles. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop cooking.
5. Portion rice noodles and bean sprouts into deep soup bowls. Ladle broth into bowls and top with green onions, red chili flakes/paste, cilantro, basil, and lime.
Per serving: 335 calories, 30g protein, 45g carbohydrate (3g fiber), 4g fat (1g sat, 3g poly/mono), 340mg sodium
You may substitute fish, shrimp or tofu instead of chicken. For a festive meal, make a platter with toppings and everyone can add their favorite ingredients.