For a festive occasion, this easy paella is bursting with color and flavor from coriander and turmeric. Shrimp is high in protein and low in calories and makes an impressive but simple dish that looks like you spent hours preparing.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 6 ounces low sodium turkey or chicken sausage, cubed
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, moist
- 1½ cups frozen peas, thawed
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon each coriander and turmeric
- 12 ounces small frozen shrimp, thawed and peeled
1. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat olive oil. Sauté onion, sausage, chicken breast, and red pepper until sausage is cooked all the way through, about 5 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the cooked rice, peas, lemon juice, garlic, coriander, and turmeric.
3. Add rice mixture to the skillet and stir until combined. Place shrimp on top, reduce heat to low, and simmer until shrimp are pink, about 3 minutes. If rice mixture is drying out, add a few tablespoons of water to keep it moist.
Per serving: 371 calories, 35 gm protein, 33 gm carbohydrate, 10 gm fat, 2 gm sat fat, 5 gm mono fat, 146 mg cholesterol, 5 gm fiber, 633 mg sodium
This is a great recipe for festive occasions. It's fast and easy but looks like you took a long time in the kitchen. Shrimp is high in protein and low in calories and fat. Read the label carefully for fat content in sausage.