Nothing says summer better than the fresh taste and bright red color of gazpacho. Prepare this soup in advance, refrigerate and it’s ready to serve when you are.
- 4 large tomatoes, quartered, seeded and chopped (approx 3 cups)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped (approx 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (approx 1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs such as basil, thyme, oregano or parsley
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups canned tomato juice, low-sodium
- ½ cup yogurt or sour-cream
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- ½ avocado, chopped in ½-inch cube
1. Add first 8 ingredients in food processor and puree until well-mixed but still coarsely textured.
2. Add tomato juice and pulse a few times to blend. Refrigerate.
3. Divide between 6 bowls and garnish.
Per serving with Garnish: 82 calories, 3g protein, 12g carbohydrate (4g fiber) 3g fat (3 mono/poly),57mg sodium
The Seasoned Cook knows the versatility of gazpacho. In addition to the traditional soup, use it as the base of other dishes like a caprese salad topped with sliced mozzarella and tomatoes or take left over ingredients and make a chopped salad. Gazpacho freezes well. Serve on a cold day under warm fish.