BLT Club Salad
We’ve created a salad inspired by your favorite sandwich that you can enjoy anytime. There’s plenty of protein in the turkey and turkey bacon, lots of fiber in the mixed greens and garbanzos, and “good” fats in the avocado. Enjoy guilt free!
BLT Club Salad
- 4 slices turkey bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 6 ounces roasted turkey breast, cut in cubes
- 8 cups mixed salad greens, chopped
- 1 large tomato, cut in small wedges
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 English cucumber, ½ inch diced
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- ½ cup packed basil, cut in thin ribbons (chiffonade)
- ½ avocado, cubed
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup low fat, low sodium mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely shredded
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ¾ cup green onion, sliced diagonally
1. Toss all ingredients in the bowl, and dress lightly with buttermilk dressing. Garnish with basil ribbons and avocado.
1. Whisk the buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, zest, and vinegar until blended.
2. Add the dill and green onions and stir to blend.
Per serving: 272 calories, 22g protein, 26g carbohydrates (9g fiber), 10g fat (2g sat fat, 7g mono/poly), 359mg sodium
Per 2 tablespoons dressing: 44 calories, 1g protein, 4g carbohydrates (0g fiber), 3g fat (1g sat fat, 2g mono/poly fat), 33mg sodium.
This salad also shines with tuna, salmon or sardines in place of the bacon. If you miss the BLT as a sandwich, serve with whole wheat tortillas and make wraps.
This terrific dressing works equally well on coleslaw. Add more buttermilk for thinner consistency.